Sunday, April 11, 2010

Week One Blog 1- Giving an A??


The idea of changing how you perceive and evaluate that, which could be construed as negative, open up the doors to revitalization and the development of renewed, invigorating hope. This speaks true to my current situation. Here I sit bemoaning the loss of my ten months of work, instead of realizing that there is a way out of this seemingly dreadful situation. The suggestion to have my external hard drive looked at has been made; everyone keeps telling me it is there, but that it just needs to be pulled off of there. I also could look into having my computer hard history pulled up. Either way, I have a guy who has offered to do it for me for free, pretty much. And here I am complaining that it hasn’t happened as of yet, because I need to finish my ARP website. Working within the confines of the issue rather than complaining about the confines of the issue.

Because of this dreadful situation, I almost gave up totally. I even let this class call to the wayside. But when I did finally tackle the reading, I was inspired to get this going again.

I can see the value in the giving an A philosophy; however, in the public school system, that is a dream, more than a possible reality. I wish that I could give out A’s with the assurance that my students would then be inspired to perform to their highest ability. Alas, that is not going to happen. But I plan on applying this concept loosely at the beginning of each year. Having my students right about themselves does nothing to motivate them, so this year I started by having each student set goals for their writing. At the beginning of this upcoming year, I plan on having students write to me, telling me how they have grown as a writer and personally this year.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the tech disaster. It can be very depressing. I'm glad that the book picked things up a bit for you. Onward and upward...

    ReplyDelete
  2. D, you are not alone in your loss of information and seven steps backwards for all your movement forwards. My cycle fell apart and I lost all motivation about three months ago. It's difficult to endure setbacks especially when we've gotten so excited about real attainable change. Good luck with your recreation. Know that you are not alone and many of us are having to rebuild our data. We're with you! -Jennifer (Jennifer Kubeczko)

    ReplyDelete