Sunday, May 2, 2010

Week Four Blog Five- Response to Reading

p. 143-144: I am the framework for everything that happens in my life. If I cannot be present without resistance to the way things are and ac effectively, if I feel myself to be wronged, a loser, a victim, I will tell myself that some assumption I have made is the source of my difficulty.

Hmm, so apply this to my life: I don’t know if I can. The revelation might be too painful, too real. I do this to myself on a daily basis! I have created my difficulties.

Quite honestly, I need to read this book again, outside the pressures of a time frame. I want to be able to scour the pages, mark it up; consume it. The words roll off the page and land in my lap.  They soothe my strained soul. Chapter ten, Being on Board, literally had me in tears. The stories speak renewal of self; something I desperately need; want.

In chapter 11, I love the idea introduced that changing the perspective, changes the outcome. This is illustrated so nicely with the example of the students on tour in Brazil. Most of us would have read them the riot act for going out and then for not being passionate about the performance later that night. However, redirecting the vision brought a new sense of appreciation for the piece and for what they were there to do!

This book has been a breath of fresh air! Revitalization for the future and for our purpose in pursuing this degree. Thank you for the read, Prof. Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment