Friday, September 25, 2009

Week 4 - Blog Posting #7 -Second Life

Second Life is something completely new to me. The first time I had ever heard of SL was when we had to meet there for our month one class. Prior to that, I had never even considered that a place like this existed. I really do enjoy the world but haven’t had the time to explore it like I would like. However, I can see the educational benefits of this program and would love to be able to incorporate it into my classroom. There is a clear potential use for SL where people can collaborate, become immersed in the world around them, create anything imaginable and interact with people around the globe. (University of Florida 2007) The benefits of meeting with people who have the same central goal can impact learning. Imagine studying about the Japanese culture. But rather than just reading about it, you and your students could travel to Goryoukaku in SL and explore the Gardens and the culture. Or you could venture to SIETAR and have your students learn about various cultures through virtual games.

Most of the references that I saw to using SL in the classroom setting were on the college level. I think with all firewalls and preventive programs it would be almost impossible to use it in the average middle or high school classroom. People who are unaware of the benefits of educating students through a virtual environment would be scared of something like this. I know that my administrators would not take kindly to me even trying to propose the use of SL in my room. They are afraid of the change and think that the online learning does not require social interaction. That is one of the benefits of Second Life. You can collaborate and work and have fun with people from every walk of life. (Wong, 2006)


References:

University of Florida. (2007, February 8). Distance learning moves into 'second life' virtual classroom. ScienceDaily.

Wong, Greg. (2006, November 14). Educators explore ‘second life’ online. Retrieved from CNN.com on September 25, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment