Thursday, September 10, 2009

Week 1 - Blog Posting #2 - Learning 2.0

Again, let me use this forum to state that I am not myself yet. I know that what I have been through in the last month is difficult emotionally and physically, but I expect more of myself. I should be better by now, I should be ready to go back to work in one week and able to deal with all of the minor inconveniences of life. But, I am not and for that I apologize.

Learning in a 2.0 environment is the only way to help our students create and grow as 21st Century Learners. One of the biggest hinderance to our being able to use these tools in our classroom, is the powers that be. Many people see technology as an interference to a student's educational process and not the means to increasing a student's learning process. In Solomon and Schrum, they discuss that administrators worry about students using the time inappropriately. I guess my question to them would be, "Are they using their time appropriately when we cannot hold their interest and they could care less about what we are saying?" In order to reach our students, our clientele, we must bring their education to them in a way that they understand and entertains. Yes, kids today are used to instant gratification. Is it no wonder that we bore them to death with our hour long lecture, minimal slideshow and constant movies.

I love the idea of telling the students to pull out their cell phones and text the answers to our quiz. However, the fear of my administration finding out quickly dashes that hope. The use of technology in the classroom would break down the barriers that exist between us and our students. The thrill of texting while in class would be gone, because it would no longer be an offense punishable by death. "Here Comes Everybody" suggests that the societies that thrive online can be beneficial and not just a way to keep up with friends. It can broaden ones perspectives and available options.




No comments:

Post a Comment