Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Week 2 - Blog Posting #4 - 21st Century Learners & Life Learners

What is a 21st century learner?

Ø A 21st century learner is one who learns through the use of the available technologies that our society has become dependent on.

Ø A 21st century learner no longer needs someone to dictate the answers for them; they have the capabilities to wade through the sea of information available at the click of a button.

A 21st century learner communicates with others and used that communication to gain knowledge.

A 21st century learner questions and challenges the ideas.

A 21st century learner creates.

A 21st century learner collaborates with others that have the same interests.

A 21st century learned is responsible for what they learn.

During the last few weeks I repeatedly have heard about how out of touch with the times that schools and teachers today are. We are still preparing students to thrive in the industrial age, rather than the digital age. Many teachers are frustrated with this lack of direction and leave the profession before they have the chance to become seasoned teachers (Carroll 2005). Why is that? Part of the reasoning comes from poor working conditions; however, many new teachers are so disturbed with how out of touch administrators and other teachers are; they are not in touch with the students and their needs. Speaking from experience, there is nothing you can do to get through to some of the people that are in a place of power. They are not understanding and do not think that making the changes to incorporate technology into the curriculum is valuable. Even the mere idea is scoffed at because, “The students will mess it all up.” Or “Teachers don’t know how to use it.” I completely sympathize with the teachers that run before rather than stay and fight. Honestly, I have already had the thought cross my mind numerous times in the last five years. I flourish in most anything I try; I know I would excel at another profession. And yet here I am, enrolled in a Master’s program that encourages the use of technology in the classroom and even gives all the tools to make the dream a reality. Maybe I’m a dreamer, maybe I’m unrealistic, but I do feel that change will come when the right people begin to see the value in encouraging our students to think for themselves and become 21st century learners.

What is a Life-long learner?

I have often considered myself to be a life learner. I often joke that I plan on staying in college forever because I want to always acquire new knowledge and (jokingly of course) I don’t want to have to pay back the government for all the loans I’ve had to take out to fund this education. According to Jeff Gitomer, there are several things that must be in place for a person to be a life long learner. Am I really defined as a life learner? (Here I will only discuss the three I found most relevant.)

1.) Positive attitude: I have a positive attitude most of the time in life. I do have a tendency to be self-deprecating but when it comes to my education, I do have the outlook that I can do it!

2.) Listen: I am a great listener. I am one of those people who listen to the story or experience fully. I think about the conversation and play it back in my mind over and over. Only then can I begin to analyze and understand what was said. For example, a few summers ago I had the amazing opportunity to participate in a weeklong seminar offered by the Florida’s Humanities Council. It was one of those opportunities that really change your outlook on life. A lot of the skills that were learned were about how to interview people and how to find the story. The people around me were just whipping out questions to ask the featured guests, and I just sat there. My friend asked me why I wasn’t asking questions, and at the time I didn’t really understand why either. But after thinking about the experience, I realized I am a listener, and need time to process.

3.) Read: Reading is one of my favorite things to do and has been for years.

So how can I help my students want to become life learners? I think one of the best ways is to allow them to explore, create, collaborate, research, question. We can create life learners by creating 21st century learners.

References:

BuyGitomer (2008, April 2008) Life Long Learning [Video File]. Video posted to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh6yd6wfCgU

Carroll, T. (2005, July 1). Induction of teachers into 21st century learning communities: creating the next generation of educational practice. New Educator, 1(3), 199-204. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. EJ819905) Retrieved September 15, 2009, from ERIC database.

No comments:

Post a Comment